Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Radio Broker - Grand Theft Auto IV - Part 17

Sorry about the lack of posts yesterday campers. Technical difficulties. Your regular programming will now continue.

We're going to wrap up the Radio Broker series today with the last two tracks on the station. They also happen to be two of my favorites. It's been fun doing this series and it's really added to my enjoyment of GTA IV. Kudos to Rockstar for putting together a really good station.

The first track is from the(sometimes) NY dance/funk/psychadelia band, !!!. "Yadnus" appears on their last album, but this particular remix comes from the single. !!! are a hit or miss band for me. Some of their stuff seems to ramble or drift too much for my taste (ex. "Me and Guliani by the School Yard"). Others though, like "Must Be the Moon" are amazing. They're good enough that I don't really care about the tracks that miss. "Yadnus" is definitely one of the tracks that keeps me coming back to this band though. This particular mix is a bit long for me, and it pulls out some of the bass, which for me is one of the bands strengths. Nevertheless, it's a fantastic song.
Oh, and here's the video from the original track:


The final track is from Whitey. I'd only recently heard of him but boy did he make an impression with the track "Non Stop". My girlfriend said it sounded like Beck to her, and while I see the similarities, I think his GTA track, "Wrap It Up" clearly defines the differences. I haven't heard his full album, Get Shakes(which isn't available on Amazon currently), yet, but I've really liked every track I've heard to date.

Whitey is a shining example of everything right in the dance/punk genre right now. Full of attitude, but without seeming 'ironic' or 'retro'. Amazing bass lines and hooks. Catchy, understandable lyrics. And beats that stick in your head for days. "There's only one thing to do," he sings, full of swagger, "Get even, Get Even! GET EVEN!" I love it.


MP3: Whitey - Wrap it Up
Purchase through Amazon - Wrap it Up
Whitey

No comments: