Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Kakkmaddafakka - Down to Earth


No, I did not have a seizure while typing the bands' name. It really is Kakkmaddafakka. Yes, it's a silly name and no, I don't know what it means. These guys from Norway seem to have a relatively simple grasp on the English language as evidenced by the bands' myspace page quote, "Party is a trend that never stops." That is be true. That is be true.

Make no mistake though, these guys understand the language of rock. They also understand the history of rock. Every one of their tracks is dripping with the blood, sweat and tears of the last 40 years of rock and roll. Leading with a piano and following with chorused vocals, horn sections and everything but the kitchen sink, KMF have a sound that is like no one else out there right now. Influenced heavily from bands like the New York Dolls, David Bowie, Queen, T-Rex, Cheap Trick, Elton John, and I'm not even sure who else, KMF take all of that history and run with it.

When I first heard them, my reaction was "What the F*** did Musebox send me?" It was so stark a contrast from everything else I'd heard lately. But I kept listening, and gradually, my feet began to tap and a smile crossed my face. With track titles like "Dancing Elephant", "Feeling Okay", and "Crazy on the Dance Floor" and running times averaging less than 3 minutes, their mediocre grasp of English goes from a weakness to a strength. The songs are fun, light-hearted and surprisingly complex. The 13 tracks whiz by in less than 40 minutes (not counting the dead space on the hidden track) and Down to Earth leaves you feeling that maybe the world isn't such a rotten place after all.

Oh, and rumor has it that their live shows are completely off the hook. The picture above lends some credibility to that claim.

MP3: Kakkmaddafakka - Crazy on the Dance Floor
Purchase through MusicFromNorway.com: Down to Earth
Kakkmaddafakka

No comments: