Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Radio Broker - Grand Theft Auto IV - Part 13


The disco-punk genre is pretty much dominated by male voices. !!!, LCD Soundsystem, Shitdisco, the list goes on. Bands like Dead Disco, the Ting Tings, Yelle, all sound more pop/new wave - although whether having female leads is an aspect of that is a debate for a different post.

Bucking this trend is Deluka, a band out of Birmingham, who provide us with today's GTA IV Radio Broker track, "Sleep Is Impossible". With a bass and guitar reminiscent of Radio 4 and a cowbell that would make even The Rapture squirm with envy this song is one of the most danceable, energetic tracks on Radio Broker.

Prior to doing this series of posts, I'd be playing GTA IV and this track would come on. Immediately, my girlfriend would pop her head in the room and say 'who is this?' I could tell that I wasn't the only one who was energized by this song.

When Ellie Innocenti's husky vocals first come in, I thought I was in for something like The Gossip, but then the chorus hits you over the head. She shouts "What's the deal honey?!" over and over followed by "Sleep is impossible now...". There is no way to drive through the streets of Liberty City slowly to this. It drops back into a synthy, crooning snake again between choruses, then comes charging back out like the Hulk with a personal grudge. I've lost track of the number of cars that I've turned into fireballs while listening to this song. That's about as a good an endorsement I can give.

MP3: Deluka - Sleep Is Impossible
Purchase through Amazon - Sleep Is Impossible

1 comment:

Jack said...

Yay!! You reviewed my favorite GTA track AND solved the mystery of who does it. Now I've gotta find someone to spin it for the dance floor :)