Monday, June 2, 2008

Overlooked - German Pop

So this is going to be a semi-regular post I'm going to do called 'Overlooked'. Guess what it's about? Basically, this is a chance to explore hidden or forgotten gems, past and present. If you have your own, please let all of us know.

Today's post, 'German pop', refers to a sort of enigmatic style of music that might not really be pop by our standards. Certainly, Germans listen to plenty of English speaking tunes, and they have a wide array of music coming from their own country. But American pop (Britney and Co.) has very little in common with German pop.

Prior to this decade, Germans were known for their electronic music, like pioneers Kraftwerk, the newer artists like Miss Kittin, and their industrial/goth scene, with bands like Rammstein, Project Pitchfork, and Das Ich. But in the last eight years, a number of strong indie-influenced bands have been moving to the forefront. There are a broad number of styles and genres that encompass German pop and very few formulas, which to me, makes it closer to what we call 'indie' over here.

I'm still a noob in the world of German music, but I thought I'd share a few tracks with you that have opened my eyes (and more importantly, my ears) to our faraway friends.

I first heard 2raumwohnung (a Berliner slang for '2 room apartment') from a DJ friend of mine, Liz O.(who sometimes still DJ's here in L.A. Catch her if you can.) She passed me a track called "Ich Und Elaine" (Elaine and I). Immediately I was captivated by it. It was almost impossible to classify, but I knew it made me want to dance. German lyrics, which can sometimes sound harsh and aggressive, come through Inga Humpe's throat like a third glass of wine. The music is firm and forward, but never angry. The song is about a very close friendship, but the whole song feels like an invitation to sex. It's still one of my favorite tracks for the dance floor and I spin it whenever I get the chance. They aren't one hit wonders either. Since this 2002 track they've come up with numerous fantastic follow-ups.

The second track I'm going to recommend is from the band Wir Sind Helden (We Are Heroes), arguably the most successful of the bands I'm going to write about today. A German friend of mine raved about these guys and who should know better than an actual German citizen? "Gekkomen Um Zu Bleiben" is a track that dares you to classify it. It's got so many disparate influences that I'm not even going to bother trying to break it down. Imagine if the Squirrel Nut Zippers had sex with the Flying Lizards and locked their love-child in the basement with David Johansen, and you'd get this track. The wonderful thing about WSH though, is that they don't stick to that formula. For a pop band they are completely free of stereotypes and schticks.

The last band is one I came across on Last.fm, Klee (Clover). I haven't had the chance to listen to a lot of their material yet, but the one track I've got for you here, "Gold", reminds me of Goldfrapp but with more pop sensibilities. I did a complete double take when it came up on my Last player.

Hopefully, these tracks will get you thinking about and exploring some new German stuff. If not these bands, then others. There's some great stuff out there and it's not just in the US,UK or France.

MP3: 2raumwohnung - Ich Und Elaine
Purchase through Amazon - Ich Und Elaine
2raumwohnung (in German)

MP3: Wir Sind Helden - Gekkomen Um Zu Bleiben
Purchase through Amazon - Gekkomen Um Zu Bleiben
Wir Sind Helden (in German)

MP3: Klee - Gold
Purchase through Amazon - Gold
Klee (in German)

1 comment:

liz o. said...

Ich liebe deutsche musik