Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tokyo Police Club



I really liked Tokyo Police Clubs first album although I find it really hard to describe it. Certainly it fits in the current indie pop/rock genre, but these Canadians find a way to stand apart from most of their contemporaries.


Oddly enough, their music reminds me of their countrymen, the Kids in the Hall. Not that they are comedians, but that there is a certain hyper-whimsy to their music.


Their new single, "2 in a Cave" is a prime example of that. David Monk sings "I'm romantic, but never pearly white" and over taught snares and sharp angular guitar. "You're my cave, and I've been hiding out". It's music to drive with your top down to, but in a non-ironic way ;-)


I'd play this at around 10:45pm along with some Modest Mouse and some Dogs Die in Hot Cars.


Tokyo Police Club

No comments: