Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Cure - The Only One


I find myself having a hard time writing this review because like most children of the 80s, the Cure hold a special place for me. Their darker earlier material contrast so much with their later material and by the 9os, I really felt like I'd lost touch with Smith and Co.


The new single, The Only One, harkens back to headier days when jangly guitars and Smiths' soaring vocals were synonomous with black and white striped stockings, purple docks, and aqua-net.


Unfortunately, it doesn't do so with a sense of nostalgia, but instead, a feeling of safety. This isn't the Cure we love, it's the Cure that was. "The Only One" sails safely by on familiar riffs and reminiscent lyrics, but it only serves to remind us that Head on the Door is 23 years old.


3 comments:

Jack said...

Head on the Door is 23? Oh my...
Still my favorite album no matter how old it makes me feel ;)

Nadine said...

It's painful for me too. Hmmm....let's just say it's the same song he's written about 100 times.

Too bad it's not stopping me from going to see them in concert 5 times next month. You know me!

The best blog/website to keep up to date on The Cure is still Craig's:
http://craigjparker.blogspot.com

Connorhalo said...

Hard to believe, but true. Even more frightening is the thought that the Cure are rapidly approaching their 30th anniversary.

Oh, and thanks for the link Nadine!!