Friday, May 30, 2008

Huey Lewis - Finally getting his props


So, I'm a Huey fan from way back. He was the master of the cross-genre pop-rock that helped define the 80's. And, he was/is really damn talented. You may scoff, or roll your eyes, but there's no denying the man penned a lot of hits. Plus, unlike many of his counterparts (I'm looking at you, Flock of Seagulls), he hasn't resorted to campy 'reunion' shows or other displays of 80s nostalgia. Mostly, he plays golf.


Anyway, I'd posted about my first concert a couple of days ago. It was Huey Lewis and the News. I was 14 and the album Sports was all over the radio. BTW, it was also my first vinyl LP ("One Night in Bangkok" by Murray Head and "Stranger in Town" by Toto were my first 45s).


Then serendipity smacked me upside the head. First, I ran across a cover of "I Want a New Drug" by the Greenskeepers. You can hear it here.


Today I came across this. Yes, folks a Huey Lewis tribute album. Genius. With bands like Menomena and Mooney Suzuki supplying their interpretations a whole new generation of indie kids can now be given the word of Huey.

In the coming days I may go dig up some Huey mp3's for you all.

If you can't wait, here's an Amazon link to do some samplin' and buyin - Huey Lewis

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

huey is god!
it's just a fact.
deal with it!

Connorhalo said...

Hey! I knew this post would get your attention Damnit! Yes, indeed, Huey .is a deity