Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ladytron "Ghosts"

Some bands are undefinable because they seem to have little elements in them of other genres or bands. Ladytron on the other hand are undefineable because they smash through genres leaving a bloody trail of wannabes and one hit wonders in their wake.

Their new album, Velocifero is out on June 6th and I'm really looking forward to it. The first single, "Black Cat", is where the goth scene should have gone years ago instead of dredging the bottom of the rave barrel for inspiration. It's all brooding synths and fuzzy bass and attitude.

"Ghosts" is its equal in value if not style. It's a great piece of work and the video captures the song quite well.



If this is where Ladytron is headed, then I couldn't be more pleased. I made a prediction a couple of years ago when Witching Hour came out. I thought that was the album that would make them HUGE. They would totally blow up and change the relationship between indie and pop music. It didn't happen of course, and I'm glad.

But Ladytron has done something even better. They've created their own little world, their own genre. They tap dance on the heads of so many other artists and yet never seem derivative. Let's hope this next album is as wonderfully lush, exciting, successful and unpopular as all of their others.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm catching Ladytron live next week here in Portland. Looking forward to hearing the new material. I'll let you know how it goes!

Connorhalo said...

Please report back on the show! I'd love to know how it goes.