Thursday, May 29, 2008

Ladytron - Velocifero


I've been a Ladytron fan since I stumbled upon the "Playgirl" single. Since then, the band has seemed to be continually metamorphisizing. With each change they seem to add some new element or appendage, while keeping and enhancing their prior strengths, like Helen Marnie's vocals and Wu's amazing analog keyboards.


With Velocifero, the band has done that and more. This album, more than any other, feels like a complete work by a fully realized band. All of the elements here are crisp, well defined, lush and beautifully arranged and produced. From the opening dirge of "Black Car" to Helen and Daniel's airy duet "Versus", this feels like the best piece of work Ladytron has put together to date. On an interesting side note, two of the tracks are sung in Bulgarian, which despite having been around the block a couple of times, I don't honestly think I've ever heard spoken. It's haunting and works well with the respective tracks.


Now, I certainly have my favorites. "Versus" is a nice track, but it's not my particular musical style. One thing the band is great at is pulling from a variety of era's of electronic music and then using them to dance along the borders of various genre's. I think my immediate favorites are "Runaway" and "Burning Up". I have a feeling this may evolve as I really get to absorb this album. There's so much here that it may take a bit.
Ladytron's Velocifero is out on June 3rd. Go get it.
MP3: Ladytron - Runaway
Purchase through Amazon - Ladytron - Velocifero
You can also listen to the entire album on their myspace site - Here


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bulgarian!! We were trying to figure out what language she was singing in at the show and couldn't quite place it. Thank you for clarifying that! (I don't have a copy of the cd yet).

Connorhalo said...

yeah, good stuff. It totally fits the atmosphere of the tracks