Thursday, July 24, 2008

Waking up with David Lynch

Every day, on my way to work, I turn on the radio and there's David Lynch. He tells me the day and date, tells me temperature and weather and then leaves me with a thought for the day. Today's was: "She rolls the dice". What a great way to start the day.

Where do I hear this? On Indie 103.1. I've blogged about this before on my personal blog but I thought it deserved a full outing. I know there are lots of diehards out there who remember the heyday of KROQ and all the good it did, and yes, Indie has a few chinks in its armor. Sometimes they act too cool for their own good. I know a few of you Angelinos actually despise the station (shooting a quick glance at Liz).

While I do see plenty of room for improvement, I also think that the people lucky enough to pick up the station are getting something really rare and special. For a quick history on the station, including a list of some of the really great shows they have check out this link.

I guess I'm grateful because I lived in New Orleans for 10 years where the only thing alternative was Clear Channels version of alternative. And only one station. Everything else was jazz, RnB, blues, country, gospel, classic rock, etc. It can be hard to sometimes appreciate what's right in your face. But every morning, David Lynch reminds me to be thankful.

No comments: