Friday, July 25, 2008

Stereogum = Sad, Courtney Love = Pathetic

So, when I blog, I get my news from wherever I can. I like reporting on music, and the events that affect the bands. I try really hard to keep things relevant, yet impersonal. I really don't care about fights (Kele vs. Lydon, etc) or marriages, or kids, or partying. I want to know when I can hear the new Faint album and how much it rocks.

There are a few websites out there that I consistently peruse for useful and exciting tidbits. I certainly won't be getting anything from Rolling Stone. Stereogum on the other hand is a different story. Even if I don't agree with all of their reviews, at least they are current, lively, and generally informative.

That changed for me today when I clicked on a link, entitled: Courtney Talks About Trent Reznor, Blog Hiatus (Warning: Please read the rest of my post before you click!) Being an ardent NIN supporter, I decided to click and see what Stereogum had to say.

Well, Stereogum didn't really have anything to say. They weren't really reporting anything, just passing on a link to Courtney Love's Myspace page. Let me repeat that: A 'news agency' posted an article that was nothing more than a link to a Myspace blog. I had no idea that Stereogum was made up of 15 year old girls. How very very sad.

Of course, I didn't know this until I clicked on the link and discovered....What? You thought it would take me to the blog entry? No, No. It takes you to the Myspace homepage. Where you have to log in. How's that for news? We won't give you anything, we'll make you log into another site to get it.

By this point, I felt like I was rubber necking on the freeway and I had to see what was actually going on. I signed in and read the first paragraph intently. The second one, I whipped through. The third I scanned for something, anything that might be coherent. Finally, I just began scrolling and occasionally stopping to let my jaw slip a little further open at the amazing, completely unstable ramblings of this woman and all of her commenters (actually, some of her commenters outdid her on the crazy-o-meter).

Her writing is full of disjointed thoughts and half-conceived ideas. She rants, rambles, digresses, shifts gears, and verbally jabs at the air at all of the invisible ghosts haunting her. And like a crazy person with a loud voice who has escaped from an asylum, all of the other crazies, her commenters, follow along gleefully.

It really is like reading Burroughs if he were an infantile, self-absorbed has been.

The world is a bleaker place for Courtney Love. Thanks for calling that news Stereogum.

No comments: