Monday, July 7, 2008

Louis XIV - Slick Dogs and Ponies

Yes, I realize that this album was released almost 8 months ago. I admittedly didn't get it till just a couple of months ago. It got less than stellar reception initially, and my enthusiasm waned.

It ended up on a play list I brought to work with me though, and I've had the chance to really absorb it. Make no mistake, there's nothing original on Slick Dogs and Ponies, the bands sophomore effort. But then, there wasn't on their first album either. The band, from the beginning, has taken the attitude of 'it's all tongue-in-cheek'. They make their music the way the Muppet's Swedish Chef cooks. Influences fly haphazardly like distraught chickens, while the band gleefully stirs its pot. Bowie, AC/DC, the Beatles, T-Rex, and a host of others are all pulled from, not to make some new fancy dish, but comfort food, something familiar.

This new album is much darker than their last however. Sure, most of the songs are still about sex, drugs and rock n' roll, but this time, they've taken a more cynical attitude. Adding string sections, complex choruses and relying less on their straight forward rock sound from their debut, Slick Dogs sounds much more epic and well thought out.

It's strange, all of the things I thought of as positives in this album seem to be listed as negatives in most of the reviews from the major mags. It's like Louis XIV handed us this album, and then slyly winked at us, but the big guys missed the wink. I'm sure that Jason Hill knows he sounds exactly like Bon Scott. I'm sure they know they are totally copying T-Rex chords. That's the point.

The more I listen to Slick Dogs and Ponies, the more I like it. From the ballads ("Hopesick and "Air Traffic Control") to the juicy glam rock bits like "Tina" and "Guilt By Association", there are some very memorable songs here. No, Louis XIV are not re-inventing rock n' roll. They're just in the kitchen having fun.

Wink.

MP3: Louis XIV - Tina
Purchase through Amazon - Slick Dogs and Ponies
Louis XIV

No comments: