Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Sapiens - Good to Lose

The Sapiens are trying really hard. Really, really hard.

Don't get me wrong. These are some talented Chicago boys. Equal parts Mighty Mighty Boss Tones, Killers, Smashmouth and Rolling Stones. Sound like a bizarre mashup? It could be, but it isn't. Instead, it's ineffectual and drab. Uninspired.

My first instinct was to recoil from the Sapiens. To denounce them outright. But something made me listen to their stuff a few more times. And again. And again.

Finally, it clicked what it was. Whomever was producing them was entirely dumbing them down. Their dynamic range seems really 'radio compressed' and the vocals are so forward that they not only drown out the music, but seem to emotionally suppress it as well. The arrangements are such that the songs sound like they are built for maximum broad spectrum 'alternative' appeal.

So do I like the Sapiens? The answer is...I might. I'd like to see them live. I have a feeling it's an entirely different experience. But I have a feeling this album doesn't represent the real Sapiens.

Take a listen for yourself and let me know if you hear what I'm hearing.

Oh, and if you're in the Chicago area and get a chance to see them, let me know what you think. I'm really curious to see if there's a huge dichotomy between their live sound and their tracks.

MP3: The Sapiens - Good To Lose
Purchase through Amazon - Rind EP

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We appreciate your frank comments! Please come see us live. Hit us up before hand and you'll get in for free. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your honest comments. Please come see us live. Hit us up beforehand and you'll get in for free.

Connorhalo said...

Hey guys, I appreciate it. I know it's hard to take one on the chin. If I'm in the Chicago area (or if you come out to the L.A. area) I'll definitely check you out!

Cheers,

C