Tuesday, July 15, 2008

She Wants Revenge - Save Your Soul EP

I did a review of SWR's single "Save Your Soul" last month, but it's taken me awhile to really be able to sit down and take in the entire EP.

First off, kudos to the guys for making the daring leap into the world of self-production. They managed to get out from under Geffen/Interscope and are now on their own label, Perfect Kiss (Which I really hope is a New Order reference). I'm hoping that this means that one of my favorite L.A. bands will flourish both creatively and financially.

I've said in the past that SWR is an out of the closet picaroon. They lift from their influences so overtly that they often get slammed for it by reviewers. I have two counters to that. One, it's only obvious because their influences are so unique sounding: Depeche Mode, New Order, The Cure, Bauhaus, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, etc. If you are influenced by those bands, there is no way to hide it my friends. Secondly, it doesn't really matter, because they not only sound great, they still sound like they're in the present not floundering in the past. SWR might take from some 80s icons, but they sound like a 21st century band through and through.

Okay, all that said, what do I think of the new EP? Not bad. In fact, it feels like an appetizer to something much bigger. This Is Forever, while a compelling album, felt somewhat constrained, which I suspect had to do with label control. This collection of four tracks isn't a huge departure and yet there is a difference. All of their ingredients are the same, but there is a loose feeling that wasn't present in past work. Maybe it's that Adam and Justin are just more comfortable with their own work and they're having more fun with it.

Regardless, this shows in the music. "Sleep" recalls some of the best work of the Psychedelic Furs and guitar-era New Order. "A Hundred Kisses", with it's light acoustic guitar and chamber hall vocals lives somewhere between Love and Rockets and Echo and the Bunnymen. "Sugar" is classic Cure. I've already written about "Save Your Soul".

I think the last step for the band is to let Justin expand his vocal range. While I love his Peter Murphy/Ian Curtis style, I think in the end, he doesn't need to stay with it so tightly. There are plenty of other good 80s post-punk frontmen out there to emulate and work in.

If Save Your Soul is a signpost for things to come for She Wants Revenge, then I couldn't be happier.

"Save Your Soul" would get played around 1:30am right between some Depeche Mode and some Sisters of Mercy.

MP3: She Wants Revenge - Save Your Soul
Purchase through iTunes - Save Your Soul

No comments: