Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Triple Play - Three good artists

So things have been quiet for awhile for me musically speaking. But then, all at once, I got three great new tracks from three really fun artists. Rather than breaking them down into individual posts, I thought I'd hit you all up with one big heap o' love.

The first gem of the day is from electro artist/DJ Morgan Geist. Geist has been in the scene for years but this is his first attempt at taking center stage. With guest vocals from Junior Boys' Adam Greenspan on numerous tracks, Geist takes a serious stab at reinventing and reinvigorating the sounds and styles of minimalist electro and italo disco. He doesn't always succeed, and some of the tracks seem to lack a fully realized punch, or a solid hook. But others show a deep understanding of the genre and real passion for what he's reaching for. This particular track, "Skyblue Pink" would have been as much a fit in an episode of Miami Vice as it would be in a hip lounge today.

Morgan Geist
MP3: Skyblue Pink
Purchase through Amazon: Double Night Time

The second track is from the French artist, Yelle. I've really enjoyed their french pop take on new wave so far and the "Ce Jeu" single and it's remixes are no exception. They make their music light and fun, and somehow way cooler than their American counterparts. Perhaps the French are simply better at sounding both silly and sophisticated at the same time. Regardless, Yelle is on my short list of favorites right now. It's impossible to listen to them and not want to dance and smile simultaneously.

Yelle
MP3: Ce Jeu (Tepr Remix Extended)
Purchase Through Amazon: Ce Jeu

I've saved my favorite for last however. The instant I heard the Royalties, I fell in love. The Norwegian trio may have started as a lark, but this track from their second album shows they are no joke. There's so much good stuff going on in this track that I don't even know where to start. They only comparison I can make is to Squirrel Nut Zippers, and even that doesn't quite fit. Just listen to it. Trust me. I can't wait to get hold of this whole album!

The Royalties
MP3: Music For Cooking With Gas
Purchase through Amazon: The Lost Royalties

No comments: